Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Text Connections

In F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby", Fitzgerald uses the narrator Nick to provide the opportunity for the reader to make many text connections.  One of such text connections is a text to self connection.  In the novel, Gatsby is madly in love with Daisy.  He will go to any lengths to do anything for her, because he loves her.  He also seems that he is able to wait forever on her.  I can make a text to self connection, because I know how Gatsby feels. Where as I am not as old as Gatsby, or as experienced, I know what it feels like to feel that kind of affection, and I know how Gatsby feels when he finds out Tom is with the girl of his dreams.  Finally, I can make the text to self connection that, like Gatsby would with Daisy, I know that I would do anything for the girl that I love.

Also, I can make a text to text connection of Gatsby's love situation.  Gatsby's love for Daisy can be seen as similar to Romeo's Love for Juliet, in William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet."  Gatsby says, "I love you now, [Daisy]" (132).  Romeo says in Shakespeare's play that he loves Juliet as well, which shows that there is a connection between Gatsby and Romeo.

Finally, I can make a text to world connection through the attitudes of the people in the East from the days of F. Scott Fitzgerald versus today.  In the novel, as Nick writes it, "[Gatsby's kindness]- it was an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which is not likely I shall ever find again" (2).

1 comment:

  1. I liked that you used the text connection to Romeo and Juliet. I also used it, but in a slightly different way. The "forbidden love" that Gatsby and Daisy share is a bit similar to the love of Romeo and Juliet. Although their conditions are different both of their loves are "forbidden". I liked the quote you used in the final paragraph of your blog.

    ReplyDelete